Money - Income & Bills 

Money - Income & Bills 

How to increase household income 

Claim all eligible benefits 

You might be able to claim benefits if you’re either: 
On a low income 
Looking for work 
Sick or disabled 
A carer 
A parent or guardian 
Use a benefits calculator to find out what benefits you could get and how to apply. You'll need information about your savings, income, pension, childcare payments and any benefits that you or your partner get. 
If you're 18 or over, you can use the Turn2us benefits calculator: 

Check if you can access any grants 

You might be able to get extra money from a charity. Some of these grants are open to everyone, others might be available to you based on your situation - such as your job or health. Use the Turn2Us grant search to find charities that could help. 

Apply for Council Tax Discretionary Relief (CTDR) 

can help if you cannot afford to pay all of your council tax bill. CTDR is normally paid in addition to our local council tax reduction scheme (sometimes known as council tax support). To be eligible for CTDR, you must be named on the council tax bill at your address and be in severe financial hardship. Council tax support is a means-tested local reduction. If you are struggling to pay any shortfall in your council tax support - please apply for CTDR. CTDR can also be considered in rare situations if you do not receive council tax support. 

Apply for Discretionary Housing Payments (DHPs) 

can help if you need assistance with your housing costs. They are paid by in addition to any housing benefit you may be entitled to - up to the maximum of your rent liability. You must get at least 50p in housing benefit to apply for a DHP. If you are entitled to the housing element of universal credit for your rent, you can also apply for a DHP. To be eligible for DHP, you must need extra financial help, and be entitled to either housing benefit or Universal Credit with a housing costs element. 

Check your wages as by law you should be paid as a minimum the National Minimum Wage. 

Check the National Minimum Wage calculator on GOV.UK to see if you’re being paid the right amount. You can also check if your employer owes you money. If you’re not being paid the right amount, start by having an informal conversation with your employer. If they agree they’ve made a mistake, ask them to pay you what you’re owed. 

 Contact us at the Money & Energy Hub and we can help you take further action, such as raising a formal grievance.  

Top Tips to reduce household bills 

5 Steps to saving money on gas and electricity bills by comparing and switch tariffs: 
1. See if you could save money by comparing deals using an online price comparison service or by contacting the new supplier and providing some basic billing information. After signing the contract, you have a 14-day cooling-off period to cancel the contract without penalty or charge. 
2. Check the new contract - to make sure the switch dates, costs and energy meter reference (MPRN or MPAN) numbers are correct. This ensures the correct energy supply is being switched. 
3. The new supplier organises the switch by liaising with the current supplier. Between them, the suppliers arrange the changeover with no break in supply. 
4. Take a meter reading when the switch takes place and provide this to the new and old suppliers, so you receive correct bills. You must remember to pay the old supplier’s final bill, which should arrive within 6 weeks. 
5. The switch should be complete in 15 working days. If the switch is taking longer than this then contact your new supplier. If your previous supplier owes you money, they should refund this within 10 working days of the final bill. 

Save On Water Bills 

Warm Home Discount 


 Need advice? Call the Money and Energy Hub on 0116 254 5168  

Our site uses cookies. For more information, see our cookie policy. Accept cookies and close
Reject cookies Manage settings